Thursday 14 August 2014

New Blog

I'm thankful that there are many things in life that I'm certain about. 

By faith I am certain that:


  • Jesus Christ is the Son of God, who reveals to us God the Father, by the power of the Holy Spirit working in our hearts.
  • Jesus Christ died for me to take the punishment that we all deserve for turning away from God, and that all of my sins, past present and future are forgiven on the basis of what Jesus did on the cross. 
  • Jesus was raised from the dead, seen by many people and then went up into heaven where he now sits at God's right hand ruling over all things. 
  • He will return to judge the world with complete justice and fairness and we will only be safe on that day if we have come to Jesus as our Lord and Saviour now before we meet him as our judge then. 
  • Jesus has commanded his followers to tell all people that he is the judge of everyone and that everyone who turns to Jesus in repentance and trust will be forgiven their sin and will be adopted as a son by God the Father. 
  • God the Holy Spirit lives in everyone who has come to Jesus in repentance and trust and he enables us to know God's love for us. 
  • God works all things together for the good of those who love him, and this good involves being made more and more like Jesus Christ. 


So I am thankful for the things over which God has given me certainty. However, there are still many things in the Bible that I am not certain about and anyone who knows anything about Christianity will know that there are many "secondary issues" in the Bible that Christians who genuinely love God and who genuinely believe that the Bible is the word of God disagree over. 

This blog is to designed to help me and others think out loud about these secondary issues in the hope that by prayerfully considering these things together we can get greater certainty concerning what the God has said to us through the Bible. A lot of what I write will seem like I'm certain of what I'm saying, but nearly all of it is work in progress rather than my settled position. So please feel free to offer alternative points of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment